こんにちは  久保田さh

(Konnichiwa Ms Kubota)


Dear Saya,

How’s life treating you recently? I hope this email finds you well.

It was so nice meeting with you at the missing-post-office on Awashima during the “Setouchi Art Festival 2016”, definitely also my pleasure to introduce this special post-office to Hong Kong people via the newspaper “am730” I am writing for.

I would like to share with you the interesting story with twists behind our first meeting on 9 October 2016 (Sunday), hoping you enjoy reading this background story.

I firstly heard about the missing-post-office from a Hong Kong newspaper “Apple Daily in July (please see the photo 1). The concept behind this office impressed me much as it is not an ordinary post office. People cannot send letters via it, but they can send letters commemorating those dead or expressing missing messages to their friends to this post office. The idea may come from the classical “Message in the Bottle”. This aroused my interest to visit the missing-post-office to have a look myself. A decent and demure lady in that photo also attracted my attention but I didn’t know she was you.

When arriving in Takamatsu in the beginning of October, I visited a book store located in famous “sheltered mall-streets” after dinner, I happened to read your Japanese book “missing-post-office” and realized that you are that demure lady. It is an interesting and creative idea that you gave the post office a new meaning while also impersonating a post office woman. This made me more interested to visit your post office and have a short chat with you so that the readers in Hong Kong can know the existence of the “missing-post-office”.

Originally, I planned to visit the “missing-post-office” on 10 Oct (Monday), but when I woke up on 9 Oct (Sunday), a sudden thought flashed through my mind that Ms Saya may appear at the office during Autumn opening, especially on Sunday. Therefore, I changed my schedule and decided to take the train and ferry to Takamijima first, and then got to Awashima.

When arriving in the tourist centre on Awashima, I asked the staff whether Ms Saya would be in the post-office that day. However, they had no idea.

Actually, I didn’t go to your office directly but visited the former sailor schools and other art installations first. Then, I arrived in your office around 2pm. The gentleman staff in front of your office also had no idea whether you would be there that afternoon. But my great interest in your office aroused the attention of a voluntary staff who can speak English. I told her that I was a travel writer for two newspapers in Hong Kong. She was very nice and asked whether I wish to meet you. My answer, of course, is positive. Haha….

Then, she introduced me to the director 中田さh. 中田さh is a very polite and considerate gentleman. He told me you would come soon. Then, he gave you a call to see when you will be arriving. However, the call was not able to reach you, and a voice message was left behind.

I was a bit disappointed as I may not be able to see you, but still interested to look around the letters and your book translated in Chinese at the post office. Later, I told the voluntary staff that I would come back later and hopefully I can meet you.

So I strolled outside your office. Suddenly a lady in tidy post-office uniform rode a bicycle quickly and arrived in front of my eyes. I felt very lucky and greeted you with my poor and simple Japanese “こんにちは, 久保田さh”, “私はTimothyでし”. And you sharply responded in English if I come from Hong Kong.

Then, we began a short interview about how come you had ever lived in Hong Kong when you were a kid, etc. 久保田さh, thank you very much for meeting me. Sincerely wish you will create more successful art works; and look forward to seeing you in near future. Take good care of yourself.

With best,
Timothy
15 Nov (Tuesday)

                                         Photo 1: From "Apple Daily"





About Missing-Post-Office:
http://missing-post-office.com/

My photos about Setouchi Art Festival 2016
http://fotop.net/timfan/timfan521



留言

這個網誌中的熱門文章

灰飛煙滅的三幢深具歷史價值的歐陸中古式堡壘豪宅 – 「余仁生」創辦人長子余東璇的「余園建築」和傳奇

重看英國經典《兩小無猜》(Melody) 有感